Provides leadership in all Respiratory Care procedures in a critical care environment. Functions at a role model level, participates in quality and education assignments.
Analyze and recommends appropriate treatment and therapy for patients requiring Respiratory Care.
Maintains direct involvement with patients participating in research projects or quality improvement projects.
Provides formal content approved in-service education for medical team.
(VUH) Member of the Critical Care Respiratory Care team a critical care unit or the Emergency Department Regularly, is assigned to a Critical Care Unit or Emergency Department >75 % of the worked schedule.
The responsibilities listed are a general overview of the position and additional duties may be assigned.
VENTILATOR MANAGEMENT (ADVANCED): - Demonstrates the uppermost levels of expertise in applying ventilator management in challenging and complex situations. Often takes a lead role in highly pressurized situations when there is a need to achieve results. Consistently delivers ventilator management services in a creative and imaginative manner while setting a standard for others. Actively participates in outside professional organizations and forums. Contributes in the development of ventilator management best practices for the organization.
RESPIRATORY THERAPEUTIC PROCEDURES (ADVANCED): - Demonstrates the uppermost levels of expertise in applying respiratory therapeutic procedures in challenging and complex situations. Often takes a lead role in highly pressurized situations when there is a need to achieve results. Consistently delivers respiratory therapeutic procedures in a creative and imaginative manner while setting a standard for others. Actively participates in outside professional organizations and forums. Contributes in the development of respiratory therapeutic procedures best practices for the organization.
LABORATORY TESTING & ANALYSIS (ADVANCED): - Demonstrates the ability to apply knowledge of laboratory tests to diverse areas of the department. Demonstrates the uppermost levels of expertise in laboratory testing in challenging and complex situations. Often takes a lead role in highly pressurized situations when there is a need to achieve results. Consistently delivers laboratory tests and analysis in a creative and imaginative manner while setting a standard for others. Contributes in the development of testing and analysis best practices for the organization. Able to converse intelligently with users, customers, and management on the impact of laboratory testing technology and competition on the business itself.
TRAINING & DEVELOPMENT (NOVICE): - Has presented course modules as part of a program. Effectively prepared by demonstrating knowledge in course content, structure and objectives, as well as audience characteristics. Demonstrated audience sensitivity and awareness. Responded professionally to content questions.
Organizational Impact: Delivers projects/assignments that have a direct impact on goals/objectives of the unit/department that the job is in.
Problem Solving/ Complexity of work: Conducts extensive analysis of situations or data to resolve numerous, complex issues; may involve the input/work of others.
Breadth of Knowledge: Has in-depth level of knowledge within a professional area and working knowledge of other areas.
Team Interaction: May lead mid-sized projects; coaches and guides team members.
SUPPORTING COLLEAGUES (P4):
- Develops Self and Others: Invests time, energy and enthusiasm in developing self/others to help improve performance and gain knowledge in new areas.
- Builds and Maintains Relationships: Maintains regular contact with key colleagues and stakeholders using formal and informal opportunities to expand and strengthen relationships.
- Communicates Effectively: Recognizes group interactions and modifies one's own communication style to suit different situations and audiences.
DELIVERING EXCELLENT SERVICES (P4):
- Serves Others with Compassion: Seeks to understand current and future needs of relevant stakeholders and customizes services to better address them.
- Solves Complex Problems: Approaches problems from different angles; Identifies new possibilities to interpret opportunities and develop concrete solutions.
- Offers Meaningful Advice and Support: Provides ongoing support and coaching in a constructive manner to increase employees' effectiveness.
ENSURING HIGH QUALITY (P4):
- Performs Excellent Work: Engages regularly in formal and informal dialogue about quality; directly addresses quality issues promptly.
- Ensures Continuous Improvement: Applies various learning experiences by looking beyond symptoms to uncover underlying causes of problems and identifies ways to resolve them.
- Fulfills Safety and Regulatory Requirements: Understands all aspects of providing a safe environment and performs routine safety checks to prevent safety hazards from occurring.
MANAGING RESOURCES EFFECTIVELY (P4):
- Demonstrates Accountability: Demonstrates a sense of ownership, focusing on and driving critical issues to closure.
- Stewards Organizational Resources: Applies understanding of the departmental work to effectively manage resources for a department/area.
- Makes Data Driven Decisions: Demonstrates strong understanding of the information or data to identify and elevate opportunities.
FOSTERING INNOVATION (P4):
- Generates New Ideas: Proactively identifies new ideas/opportunities from multiple sources or methods to improve processes beyond conventional approaches.
- Applies Technology: Demonstrates an enthusiasm for learning new technologies, tools, and procedures to address short-term challenges.
- Adapts to Change: Views difficult situations and/or problems as opportunities for improvement; actively embraces change instead of emphasizing negative elements.
Graduate of an approved discipline specific program (or equivalent experience) and < 1 year relevant industry
National Board Respiratory Care Required
Registered Reparatory Therapist Required
Pediatric RRT work with an Academic Medical Center
Department/Unit Summary: Vanderbilt Children's Hospital Respiratory Care Department will be the model upon which other departments both internal and external set their standards. Our staff will be empowered to achieve their fullest potential and we will collaborate to further advance the care of children in our hospital and community. We promote a safe environment for our customers. We treat each other with respect and we value and reward our employees who are committed to our mission.
Vanderbilt's Respiratory Care Departmental Key Facts:
98 bed Level IV NICU
20 bed Pediatric Cardiac ICU
24 bed Pediatric Medical ICU
Level 1 Trauma Center
Four floor expansion under construction
Neonatal/Pediatric Transport and ECMO
Career Advancement Program
Offers Continuing Education opportunities to fulfill TN State Licensure Requirements at no cost.
Provides opportunities for practitioners to participate in VCH Clinical Research Studies
Located in Nashville, Tennessee, and operating at a global crossroads of teaching, discovery and patient care, VUMC is a community of individuals who come to work each day with the simple aim of changing the world. It is a place where your expertise will be valued, your knowledge expanded and your abilities challenged. It is a place where your diversity -- of culture, thinking, learning and leading -- is sought and celebrated. It is a place where employees know they are part of something that is bigger than themselves, take exceptional pride in their work and never settle for what was good enough yesterday. Vanderbilt's mission is to advance health and wellness through preeminent programs in patient care, education, and research.
VUMC Recent Accomplishments
Because we are committed to providing the best in patient care, education and research, we are proud of our recent accomplishments:
US News & World Report: #1 Hospital in Tennessee, #1 Health Care Provider in Nashville, #1 Audiology ( Bill Wilkerson Center ), 9 adult and 9 pediatric clinical specialties ranked among the nation's best, #15 Education and Training
Truven Health Analytics: among the top 100 hospitals in the US
Becker's Hospital Review: one of the "100 Greatest Hospitals in America"
The Leapfrog Group: grade "A" in Hospital Safety Score
National Institutes of Health: among the top 10 grant awardees for medical research in the US
American Association for the Advancement of Science: 12 faculty members elected fellows in 2014
Magnet Recognition Program: Vanderbilt nurses are the only group honored in Middle Tennessee
Nashville Business Journal: Middle Tennessee's healthiest employer
American Hospital Association: among the 100 "Most Wired" medical systems in the US
Vanderbilt University Medical Center is home to Vanderbilt University Hospital, The Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt, the Vanderbilt Psychiatric Hospital and the Vanderbilt Stallworth Rehabilitation Hospital. These hospitals experienced more than 61,000 inpatient admissions during fiscal year 2015. Vanderbilt’s adult and pediatric clinics treated nearly 2 million patients during this same period.Vanderbilt University Hospital and the Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt are recognized again this year by U.S. News & World Report’s Best Hospitals as among the nation’s best with 18 nationally ranked specialties. Vanderbilt University Medical Center is world renowned because of the innovation, work ethic and collegiality of its employees. From our health care advances to our compassionate care, Vanderbilt owes its accomplishments and reputation to staff and faculty who bring skill and drive and innovation to the medical center day after day. World-leading academic departments and comprehensive centers of excellence pursue scientific discoveries and transformational educational and clinical advances across the entire spectrum of health and disease.As th...e largest employer in middle Tennessee, we welcome those who are interested in ongoing development in a caring, culturally sensitive and professional atmosphere. Most of us spend so much of our lives at work, we want to be part of maintaining a workplace in which people support one another and encourage reaching for excellence. Many high-achieving employees stay at Vanderbilt because of the professional growth they experience and because of their appreciation of Vanderbilt’s benefits, public events and discussions, athletic opportunities, beautiful setting and, above all, sense of community and purpose.Vanderbilt and its employees share a set of mutual expectations that have been created with productivity, legality, fairness and safety always in mind. We believe that our investment in training and compensating employees multiplies in value when we enable individuals to deliver their best performance for the benefit of us all.